Fasting is generally done due to health issues or religious reasons. But as it turns out it can have tremendous benefits for the body:
- Improves blood sugar control.
- Fights inflammation of the body.
- Improves blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Betters self-discipline.
- Encourages introspection.
- Aids weight regulation and ‘resets’ your metabolism.
- Improves brain function and prevent neurological problems.
- Makes food taste amazing when the fast ends.
- Delays aging.
- Seems to prevents certain types of cancer.
You don’t have to go full monk mode and eat only a bowl of rice a day to see these benefits, so don’t worry.
Here is a simple method that I use: Pick a day of the week that you aren’t going to be doing any hard work. During that day and until the very next morning, don’t eat anything. You can drink water, tea, or coffee, as long as you don’t add sugar or chemicals.
The next morning have a good breakfast (eat slowly!) and resume your normal eating patterns. If you are unable to last a full day or if you are not feeling well, definitely do eat and stop fasting, this isn’t supposed to be painful but an enjoyable introspective trip. If you’re still uneasy about this experiment, consult your doctor, he can give you more details and keep an eye on you.
Always be open to new experiences!